Man City fan collapses in stands and requires oxygen at Champions League final

Man City fan collapses in stands and requires oxygen at Champions League final

A Manchester City fan was stretchered out of the stands of the Ataturk Stadium after collapsing during the first half of the Champions League final.

Mirror Football reporters inside the stadium said the individual looked to be conscious as medical staff lifted him out to applause from the fans in his area. They were quick to alert stewards to an issue with the supporter and the medics were on the scene quickly.

The incident came following a day where both sets of supporters had struggled to make it inside the stadium in time for 10pm (local time) kick off. With the final being housed some way outside of the centre of Istanbul, UEFA had advised that fans made their way to the stadium nine hours before the game got underway.

But that did little to ease traffic with shuttle buses caught in heavy congestion, with many on board decided to disembark well before they had reached their destination. Some City fans were seen jumping out of taxis and running down a gridlocked road to reach the stadium, which is more than 15 miles from the city centre.

And then once that arduous journey was completed, matchgoers were met with more queues amid arduous security checks at the turnstiles. Social media was awash with images of long waits, particularly for City fans, with the Inter end filling hours before kick off.

It didn’t get too much better for those of a City persuasion in the minutes after the whistle was sounded either. Their side were the heavy favourites going into the final, but were made to toil by the Italians, who surprised neutrals by reaching the showpiece in the first place.

READ MORE  GOALLLLLLL: Gabriel Jesus with the goal of the season contender to put Arsenal upfront against Nottingham Forest – we’re winning the league

Kevin De Bruyne was then forced off with a hamstring injury just 35 minutes into play, leaving a Champions League final for the second time in three seasons.

De Bruyne received lengthy treatment from City physios after going down, but attempted to battle through the pain barrier and stay on. However, with Phil Foden stripped off on the sideline, he admitted defeat and signalled to the bench that he needed to come off.

It is understood that the 31-year-old carried the issue into the showpiece finale, but had hoped to come through the match unscathed. He was also a doubt for the FA Cup final but managed 76 minutes as they beat their local rivals United to seal their second major honour of the season.


Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button